Subject: Can't install Flash 3 AX control on NT4
From: Tom Simpson
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:18:08 +0100

Hi guys,

I'm at my wit's end on this. I just got a new job and a new computer, an
NT 4 SP 3 system on a Gateway PPro 200. It's got IE 4 installed, and
whenever I try to install the Flash ActiveX control at Macromedia's site I
get the error:

"This page provides potentially unsafe information to an ActiveX control.
Your current security settings prohibit running controls in this manner.
As a result this page may not display correctly."

The odd thing was I had the security settings set to medium, the default,
and it prompted me and installed the Director component correctly, but
balked at installing the Flash control.

I've reset my security settings to low, emptied the cache, tried visiting
pages to see if it could auto-intall, checked the "Downloaded Program
Files" folder for a bad copy of the control, even tried installing the
ActiveX control included in the Players folder installed by Flash 3. Nada.

I'm used to working on a 95 box and debugging 95 problems. Anyone run into
this before on NT4? I've got Service Pack 3 installed and I'm logged on as
administrator. No firewall, no proxy, and Director installed fine.

Thanks,

Tom