Subject: Re: FLASH: Russ--is: alcazar revisited
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:25:46 +0100

On 6/17/1999 11:44 PM, Olwage, Pieter of POlwageatfnb [dot] co [dot] za said:

>Will you please go and visit my site again

(Pieter, I wasn't clear from your wording if you only wanted Russ to
visit and critique, but since you posted this to the list, and not
privately to Russ, I can only assume you are inviting everyone's
comments.)

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but after d/l ing over a meg of data from a
slow server, I sure didn't feel like there was much content. I didn't
learn anything, other that later this Summer you will have an 80's club,
playing music from three decades. Great. What genre(s)? Nice graphics,
nice sound, nice use of Flash tech, but, as a website, I have to agree
with Russ's original observation: with all due politeness and respect for
your artistic talent and reuse of gaboparts, as a website, it sucks.

Yes, you reduced the main file size and decreased load time, but not only
did you lose the more attractive preloader, you removed much of the
content (what little there was) from the earlier version. And each mini
movie is still 50-70k, and very little to show for it.

What, promotion-wise, is this website intended to accomplish? If it is a
contact interface to find an email address to one of the DJs or to the
chat room, it sure seems like making someone wait for 300-400k (if they
know where to go immediately) is an awful lot to ask. If it is intended
to show me how much fun is had at Alcazar, and that I should go there, it
fails. If it is supposed to be a site that lets me know about what to
expect on a given night, it fails. If I am supposed to know whether or
not to dress to dance hip-hop, disco, punk, wave, funk, rap, rock, metal,
rock-n-roll, swing, etc, so that I do or don't want to fit in, or enjoy
that kind of music, it fails. If it is intended to give me cover and
minimum pricing, it fails. If it is intended to tell me how big of a
dance floor, or what other facilities are offered (besides a bar), it
fails. If I have never been to SA, and I want to go out to a club, this
site doesn't tell me anything I want to know about a club. It simply
doesn't "sell me" anything at all, or teach me anything I want to know. I
would learn more from a cabbie at the airport.

It would make a fine kiosk or CD teaser for your portfolio, though, as
long as a client didn't have to wait for the d/l. Otherwise, I guess
you'd have to be a club groupie to get any thrill at all from the site.
Again, the technical implementation and artwork is fine, it's just not
worth the visit, regardless of how small or how fast you make it, for
what you get in return. Especially since there is no companion HTML
version for those not interested in waiting for the Flash. It would be
interesting to know the criteria for being voted "best site in SA", and
how many votes it took to place you second.

I rarely post public site reviews unless I see something that is
especially good, or especially bad for its purpose, and then for the
benefit of other readers in what to, or not to do. If I have mistaken
your purpose for creating this website, then I apologize.

Note: As others have said, please take the good and the bad with grace.
I didn't post opinions the first time around, because I agreed with you
that you didn't ask for anyone's opinion. This time you did.

PS: Nice touch in giving gabo credit this time, though I am still of the
opinion you ripped off a copyrighted work without permission. But, if
he's not complaining, I won't either.

Respectfully,

Frederico

NOTICE: US Worst has been losing/delaying my mail for several days now,
if you haven't received a reply to an item sent since 6/1/99, I'm not
ignoring you, please resend via ricoatsciencequest [dot] org

ricoatsciencequest [dot] org (mailto:ricoatsciencequest [dot] org)