Subject: FLASH: what DRIVES web organizations?!?- plus site check please {>flasher<}
From: Shortmiller
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:25:48 GMT

better grab a cold one. i haven't written my required fifteen pages of email
tonight, so i'm going to see how long i can write about this topic w/o
sticking MFIMM; suffer my wrath!
feel free to stop reading when-ever. but check www.indywebpress.com for
functionality and design and load time and code quality. please :)
my brother and i founded a company two weeks ago. neither of us are degree'd
professionals as of yet, but we're both smarter than shit. that's the beauty
of this occupation. maybe i am only 24Y'sO and he 20, and maybe neither has
what you'd call a peaches and cream complexion, but that's not stopping us.
we are not going to wait for our business degrees and clean shaven faces to
make us rich, because they probably never will. and dammit we hate college
math! i would rather read a book on how quantum physics relates to nature and
business (Life on the Edge of Chaos; check it out!) than take a physics test
that requires me arguing w/ the professor on a minor detail or loophole in
physic's he doesn't comprehend it to gain 2.5 extra points on my final exam
and bump me from a final grade of C+ to a B-. school sucks..we don't need no
education, remember? egyptians knew as much, possibly MORE considering we
haven't translated MANY of their scrolls, about physics as we do today. will
they teach me that in college? will they teach me that the vatican has many
of these scrolls locked up to be viewed only by a very select group of eyes?
do we KNOW they didn't cure aids already, six thousand years ago, with a
plant native to the nile? (obligatory OTC: stigmata is a GREAT movie but
barely scratches the surface of unrealixed human potential) i digress.
i can build a better website than Indiana University (as far as general
interface) in a matter of weeks. they've had god knows how many ppl working
diligently for years, but have lacked that me (designer) quality in their
formulas. those ppl dream in html i bet:

<dream/ sweating, tossing, turning, feelings of falling behind at work/>
that'd've much funnier if i knew what html really looks like.
is my foot in my mouth yet?

flash is great, and we are gonna utilize the shit out of it. i have not seen
more than one, if that many, Web sites come out of indianapolis, indiana in
the last year that are on par w/ our homesite. i don't get around as much as
i'd like, on the internet, at 28.8 though. we are going to be uber successful
and i propose to do it like this.

mother (T K F ) : mediator and all around down-to-earth peak of our pyramid
myself (jeff miller) : designer; and networker in the conventional BUSINESS
sense of the word.
brother (andy m.) : coder/designer (he completly coded and designed the
website i am about to link you to in three days, swear to buddah. i have not
exercised my artistic license as of yet, but it may not be required on this
site. it looks pretty damn good to me so far and i would LOVE to get as many
opinions as possible.
go to:
www.indywebpress.com
and tell me what we might change. he thinks it's too cartoonish. i can't
offer many suggestions to him yet because i have not perused the proper
tutorials and am not even sure which adobe program to edit .jpg's or whatever
files you need for real life animation. all in good time i suppose. the other
guys have catching up to do anyway.
keep in mind: the site doesn't open till may. none of our pricing or policys
have been edited by myself, and my bra doesn't exude profound wordcrafting
skils; but don't tell him i let on.
as someone else pointed out more eloquently, the technology is a never ending
wave. riding the wave into infinity- or until you die and then eventually
your company is splintered- just requires staying a bit ahead of the
technology curve. that sweet spot of the wave, where you master the programs
(ie adobe and mm) that influence the way internet business is conducted AS
SOON AS THEY ARE RELEASED. we have flash figured out moreso than most
designers (sans ppl reading this list and others like it). we're waiting for
the next big thing, i read something about e-v fonts. i have no idea what
those are, but if i start studying tonight i'll be well versed and doing
QUALITY material (not experimenting) when the tsunami hits <in our current
state, the tsunami is every business wanting a quality flash website, but not
having enuff quality coder's in the market to provide them. even most html
coders, i'm assuming, can not implement a pure flash site that is functional.
it's funny that even the ppl who are shaping the virtual world as citizens
currently know it (html and anim gif popups) are so far out to sea that they
don't even realize they left the shore.
an ex girlfriend was programmed by ball state university to be a
telecommunications worker (if i understood her correctly, she actually PAID
for this brainwashing and owes quite a bit of money on some kind of
loan....something w/ an s....stupid maybe...OH! student, don't they make
enuff on football?). now she works at the indpls. star (major metro
newspaper; circ. about 600K on sunday) on a 'new media' team of fifteen ppl.
(the star calles it "knight rider new media" HA!) granted, she doesn't code
the five or so sites they operate and the countless number of sites the team
creates for outside clients, i don't even think she is "qualified" to design.
i think she organises email addys or some other shit job. but she works
closely w/ the ppl who do and sees everything that goes out the phone lines
and into space. when i mentioned flash to her she was like "yeah, i heard of
it" but didn't know shit in reality. when she saw my site she was like, wow
that's pretty. end of conversation. you just can't help some ppl. the school
got to her impressionable young mind before i was smart enuff to do it more
effectively and the right way. to give her team credit, it's not their fault.
their directives probably come from above, where someone complacently enjoys
a cushy job he got using html and a better than average suit. this person is
convinced java future of the net. he's keeping the team too busy giving away
free email addys and linking EVERY SINGLE FRIKIN' CORP. BUSINESS IN
INDIANAPOLIS, like everyone else, to actually activate more than three
creative oriented neuron clusters in the knight riders.
i love those cushy job ppl cause they're gonna make us idea ppl independently
wealthy.
the preceeding was not edited or spellchecked. flame away,
jeffer

my next site...PLEASE don't steal it :)
liason.X
local independent artists supporting online networking
.stay tuned, or email if you wanna get involved.
jeff <target market> miller

flasher is generously supported by...