Subject: Re: FLASH: What drives the process- great design or great code?
From: Mats Persson
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:48:34 GMT

London, Sunday, March 19, 2000, at 4:35 pm

Tom,

Being an ex-photojournalist trying to learn and *understand* this 'new'
medium I belong in neither grouping. My slightly detached view is that
obviously the two disciplines need to work in harmony and feed of each
other. I think we have all seen some good examples of this.

Technology has throughout history often taken on a higher role in the
collective mind of an 'unaware' public. Technology is often easier to grasp
and 'understand' than the more thought provoking subliminal effects of good
art or design. Good design sometimes becomes 'invisible' as it helps the
public/user/reader etc. etc. to use/benefit from the 'technology'.

However, in every action there is a re-action. Some clever coder comes up
with something like the Yugop.com's navbar, because it's technically
possible and provides an interesting challenge for the coder to produce.
Behind that comes a visually astute and clever designer who takes that
technological feat and repositions it into a functional and useful device to
communicate something important while at the same time be aesthetically
pleasing to the eye. (look at http://www.nathanlivingstonevale.com usage of
the yugop.com nav bar idea)

In short: Coders may lead temporarily, but Designers makes the 'technology'
fit for human consumption.

The answer to your question is therefore Yes to the first part, and NO!! to
the second part.

1/2 pence worth

Regards,

Mats
matsatimediatec [dot] co [dot] uk

> From: Tom Green <tgreen17athome [dot] com>
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:20:42 -0500
> Subject: FLASH: What drives the process- great design or great code?

> My question: , " Is there a point where collaboration between the coders
> and the designers will find equilibrium or are we heading for a business
> where the code drives the design?"

flasher is generously supported by...