Subject: Re: FLASH: Is this Legal
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 22:05:31 +0100

At 11:25 AM 5/1/99, SANIsoft wrote:
>http://www.swift-tools.com
>A substitute for MM Generator - agreed it is a poor cousin but is it
>legal What is Macromedia's view about the whole issue?

I think everybody here at the shop thinks it's wonderful that people are
running with the file format.

Macromedia Generator is designed for high volume and reliability, and it
definitely does not serve the fullest range of needs... a low cost
generator that handles 80% of the need seems like it would satisfy other
groups of people. I'm glad to see Swift Tools and YGenerator and the rest,
myself... means more people can accomplish more of their goals.

fwiw, there's another high-volume commercial generator of SWFs available,
via http://www.popchart.com/ ... they handle the LATimes sport statistics.
These folks are more in direct competition with Macromedia Generator, but
the file format is still open and they can definitely use it as they will.

jd