Subject: Re: FLASH: Re:
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 18:33:18 +0100

> > At 10:48 AM 5/12/99 +0200, you wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I have an unusual question for you, no wait, it's more like an offer. I
> > have been approached by a company with the question of making their first
> > website. They want Flash, and since I know the guy running the company, he
> > asked me. But I am nowhere near talented enough to make a Flash site of
> > this size. So, if anyone talented out there wants to get their hands on a
> > US$ 150 000/year account, let me know.
> > >
> > >Here's the deal: The company is a model agency. They want Flash
> > presentations of their models. You will be given a set of pictures and
> > music to work with. Do whatever you want, but make something cool
> > out of it.

And the work above is to be commissioned?
Please explain. "Do whatever we want"? Will our prior flash portfolios not do?
Why do we have to custom create a piece using this company's images for no
compensation? If its only for "Exposure", what is this company's credentials?

> > >So this will be some sort of a competition. The company is not interested
> > in your CV or portfolio, only what you can achive from a given set of
> > rules. The person or persons who produce the best "test presentation" will
> > be given the account.

Competition? When I call on a AC repair guy I dont call 2 to show up, to
compete, to see who can do the better
job and then pay that individual.

Whos the company?

What is your posistion? Are you a broker?

> > >If anyone is interested, please let me know off-list. I will compile more
> > info and send it at the end of next week to anyone who signs up
> > for the info.
> > >
> > >Glenn Folkvord
> > >Krepro AS
> > >Direct dial: (+47) 63 92 21 74
> > >Telefax: (+47) 63 95 20 50
> > >E-mail: glenn [dot] folkvordatkrepro [dot] no

I must warn new flash developers or anyone new to freelancing creative work from
these type of posts. I am not saying this
particular post is bogus or claiming that this company is trying to scam flash
work. However this is not
the norm for commissioning any creative freelance work. This is an example of
"throw a dog a bone"
techniques used by companies trying to seek the best work possible for their
benefit and NOT this community's. This is exploitation at its finest.
Think about it. You create a custom piece for a company without any compensation
whatsoever? Forget "exposure"
Companies using this technique (whether they know it or not) exploit
artists/creatives. They hold "contests" saying, "Whoever
can create the best looking logo for us wins!". Hundreds of artists work for
absolutely no compensation, but rather
for some schmuck sifting through tons of exploited work to possibly pick out
some "so called" lucky artist to get paid. If the artist asks to much, the
company goes to the next best thing. "State of the art" starving digital
artists? Are we really going to
take a bus drivers salary for spending 80 hours a week making sure we keep with
the latest technical advances?
Give me a break. These type of so called "promotions" will kill this new
industry before it even gets started.

Forget "exposure". If you can create professional flash pieces, you can get
"exposure". Whats the net for? Promote YOURSELF. Create pieces that YOU want to
specialize in for serious clients to base a decision on. Create great
client relationships by guaranteeing your work. This post is a prime example of
"throw a dog a bone". Educate these "clients". Protect yourself by educating
yourself.
Goto http://www.gag.org. This is the graphics artist guild. It will give you
information on how to watch out for yourself, how to educate confused clients
and what the professionals around you agree upon as far as ethics.

I do not work for TGAG. I do support them along with millions of other
professionals. Take a look for yourself .
I think you will agree.

As hard as John C is on MIME types, count me in for this type of exploitation.

-DG-

-David Gary-
Interactive Producer/Designer
http://www.davidgarystudios.com
dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net (mailto:dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net)