Subject: Re: FLASH: Question...
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:24:01 +0100

At 11:48 AM 5/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I was wondering if someone could help me out. I am trying to create a
>animated button that begins to animate when you rollover it, the tricky part
>is that I want it to stop on the frame it was last on when the user rolls off
>of it and then start from that frame when the user comes back to it.

Make the movie clip external to the button, and give it a stop action in
whatever frame you want it to stop once it appears (could be frame 1).
Place it on the stage, make sure it's on its own layer and that it exists
the entire time in question, with no keyframes in that layer (encountering
keyframes will reset it to frame 1). Double-click it and under Definition
give it an instance name, let's call it "wow."

Double-click the button and go to Actions. Give it these actions:

On Mouse Event (Rollover)
Tell Target (target: wow)
Play
End Tell Target
End On

On Mouse Event (RollOut, Drag Out)
Tell Target (target: wow)
Stop
End Tell Target
End On

that's all.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.