Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:34:37 +0100

> This discussion is now including "return on investment" for buying Director.
> I still don't get it--do people buy a new copy of Director for every
> project? I suppose if you're only going to use it for one job, then you
> should seriously consider the cost.

Aww now, that's twice. I didn't say that. I said "if you have enough
projects of that type, it's easy to justify" (or something close to that...
I'm at work, the post is at home.) I *also* said if the discussion is about
cost/value (and it already was - the thread was about having to buy 2 copies
of director to get cross-platform compatability... if you don't mind
spending the money, why do you care?) then you have to assume the people in
question don't already own the program. If they *already* have both
versions, or have no problem with that expense, it's not a question, hm?
I've said specifically several times, that I don't think Director is
over-priced for the types of projects that *I* consider it appropriate for
EVEN at $2,000.00 and I can't imagine Macromedia would lower the price
(which is what they would have to do to offer both platforms at $1,000.00).

But I am willing to listen when someone else says "but we're not always
using Director for those kinds of projects..." and where the lines are,
that's the question I was asking.

Someone said something like, Director is often recommended on this list for
simpler projects (and they're right, it is) where there might be a question
of cost justification ($2,000 because they'll need it to be
cross-compatable). I asked why they would recommend Director for *those*
(simpler/less complex/less need for flexibility - choose your own term)
projects and was given 3 perfectly reasonable responses (lotsa bitmaps, need
for video, and a 400 frame pan - all things flash wouldn't handle well.) I
was *trying* to go on from there and ask something like "do you not have
enough of these simpler projects to justify a $2,000.00?" Are these really
simplier projects? What is it the people who think director *should* output
as both Mac/PC in the $1,000.00 program are really asking for?

Perhaps there is a need for a program more like flash (less flexible etc.)
but that handles bitmaps better and will do video, and costs less for
cross-platform compatability. If there is a market and the program can be
created and sold at a profit, someone will do it - whether it be Macromedia
or someone else. The advantage to MM of doing it themselves is that they
know what they'd have to do to keep it from cutting into Director's market,
and what they need to enable them to make a profit. Or perhaps there is no
need. But there are people here who seem to have a problem with the double
expense outlay and I DO see director recommended fairly frequently.

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...