Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus
From: Bryan Rieger
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:04:54 +0100

on 5/15/00 11:14 AM, Laura Mollett at lmollettatmindspring [dot] com wrote:
> Perhaps there is a need for a program more like flash (less flexible etc.)
> but that handles bitmaps better and will do video, and costs less for
> cross-platform compatability.

Try iShell (http://www.tribeworks.com/) - it's not Director.
Not as powerful as Director, much shorter learning curve, cross-platform,
aimed toward designers, built around QuickTime architecture (digital video),
Flash support is currently only through QuickTime (version 3), OpenSource
(full members), and free (with 'Tribeworks Splashscreen').

> If there is a market and the program can be
> created and sold at a profit, someone will do it - whether it be Macromedia
> or someone else. The advantage to MM of doing it themselves is that they
> know what they'd have to do to keep it from cutting into Director's market,
> and what they need to enable them to make a profit. Or perhaps there is no
> need. But there are people here who seem to have a problem with the double
> expense outlay and I DO see director recommended fairly frequently.

If you're comfortable with programming and need real power Director is the
standard. If you're looking for an alternative that doesn't cost you
anything (unless you want an invisible license) and provides additional
support/features where Flash leaves off then take a look at iShell.

Sometimes you don't need a full construction crew to hang a picture... ;-)

Cheers,

Bryan Rieger
Developer/Collaborator

Trapeze Media