Subject: Re: FLASH: Translation
From: Scott Rossi
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 19:26:58 +0100

Recently, Paul Hagwood wrote:

> I have been working on demos for IBM
> (http://swaydemo.dfw.ibm.com/connected/) and I am now
> being hit with translation. Right now we are sending
> the demo to developers in Europe and Japan to
> translate all the text. My question is, does anyone
> know or can think of any way to use the flash program
> (or actionscript) to translate part or all of the text
> to other languages?
> Right now my word has been that we have to have a
> seperate effort to translate all the text but the
> client isn't satisfied with that and I'm getting
> pressure to prove that there is no magic multimedia
> program that can magically translate all the text.

What might be better is to get your client to prove that there *IS* a
multimedia program that can effectively translate one language to another
while keeping all subtlety, nuance and meaning intact. Seems unlikely,
unless you're connected with a university or privately funded research
project.

We recently completed a CD presentation in Metacard that was translated from
English into 4 additional languages, which included traditional and
simplified Chinese. The translations were handled internally by company
resources, and were saved as simple text files that could be read into our
engine on the fly.

Instead of creating a separate presentation for each language, we built a
single engine that references a "datamap" -- a text document that describes
which content documents are associated with the language currently selected
in the presentation, and where the documents are located. This type of
arrangement allows your content to be completely modular, but it also means
your design/layout must be modular as well, to accommodate varying lengths
of text.

If your presentation is going to be crossplatform, watch out for special
characters, such as registration and trademark symbols -- these are keyed
differently on Mac/Win systems. Try to establish a standard for the
creation of your content early on: Windows or Mac formatted, plain text vs
rich text vs HTML format, etc.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Rossi Tactile Media - Multimedia & Design
Creative Director Email: scottattactilemedia [dot] com
Web: www.tactilemedia.com

flasher is generously supported by...