Subject: Re: FLASH: Translation
From: Dave Broz
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:08:31 +0100

I deal with different languages everyday (german, french italian, spanish
and english) and translation is a very expensive and time consuming thing.
Most of the translation is still done by language translators (humans) not
software. There is a good article in the latest Wired magazine (8.05)
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.05/translation.html about this. But
you will discover there is no machine Translation Nirvana as of yet. Though
there are a few companies out there trying.. checkout:
babelfish.altavista.com. but it is very rudimentary.

In Flash, I encode the different languages as variables and fill in the
textfields with the appropiate language variable as selected by the user.
It is also a typographers nightmare as laying out for different languages is
difficult enough but when you set the whole text to field you have very
little control of how it wraps. I have a tendency, because I deal with it a
lot, to always ask what languages will be required, as soon as they say 2
or more or if they are unsure whether or not it will be translated I
automatically use textfields where ever possible. saves a lot of work in
the future, though it can be a little ugly..
of course it depends what the client wants and how much they want to spend.

good luck...