Subject: FLASH: Flash Detection question
From: Rob Brewster
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 07:23:31 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Flashers,

I am presently working on a large site for a local business. I am very keen
to incorporate Flash into the site where possible, so a) it can add a bit of
pizzazz and b) so it will help expose Flash some more and help others see
examples of what my company can do apart from the normal HTML web stuff.

However what I don't want to do is have users choose between the HTML or
Flash site, or wait to download the Active-X control or plug-in if they
haven't got it. In other words I want a fool-proof system that will send
users with Flash capabilities to the Flash site and everyone else to the
HTML only site - without the risk of throwing up errors to anyone.
Unfortunately I don't have every combination of OS and browser versions to
test with.

I found the following code on the MM site that suggests it will do what I am
after, but I was hoping someone could advise me as to what browsers and OS's
will correctly interpret and act on this code, and more importantly which
browsers won't. If some browsers (e.g. IE 3.0 ?) won't interpret this, is
there a way around it.

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- use this comment tag to hide the enclosed code from old browsers.

if ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" &&
navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") == -1 &&
navigator.appVersion.indexOf("3.1") == -1) ||

(navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"])
|| navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash 2.0"]){

//Load a pre-defined HTML page with Flash Player in it into the browser
window.
window.location='flashed.html';
}
else {
//Load a pre-defined HTML page without Flash Player into the browser
window.
window.location='unflashed.html';
}

// Close the comment tag. -->
</script>

As usual, thank you all for your time :)

Kind Regards
Rob

Robert Brewster
Director