Subject: RE: New thought (was) Re: FLASH: OT: PNG instead of GIF/JPEGs
From: JGL
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:21:21 GMT

I think the key item here is - what exactly is the purpose of your site.

I can't emphasize this more.

If your are developing for e-commerce and you find your target audience has
computers to view the site that are fairly new, less than 2-3 years old,
then sure it can be OK to use all Flash.

But if you are strictly in the biz to sell to 'everyone' then it would be
prudent to develop an alternative means of the visitor to view and create a
transaction.

Admittedly, Flash, when used properly, has much greater impact leading to
higher sales. I have seen this first hand in staggering amounts. But the
plain jane alternatives for some of my clients sites bring in enough sales
to merit both.

BTW, Colleen, the B/W vs Color TV analogy doesn't apply here. B/W TV's can
see color productions just not in color. As well, companies *do* create
advertisements for both radio *and* TV.

You have to define the goals of the purpose of the site and develop from
there. There is *no* catchall solution. There never will be. It is an
analysis specific to each application. Software companies make a pc and a
mac version of software. They want the market.

This Christmas, here is my prediction - There will be a flood of home use
web machines very much similar to web TV. No significant amount of memory
and virtually zero processing power. Called e-mail machines I think, but you
can surf the web with these too. Some of these memory, processor intensive
Flash and Director sites, even if the players are integrated, will be
un-seeable by this new breed of machines.

Bottom line is the bottom line. What an analysis of the purpose of the site
should dictate.

No need to get upset about this. Look at it this way, are you good enough to
analyze your market thus create a way for them to see your content?

jgl