Subject: Re: FLASH: Shockwave and Flash
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:10:33 +0100

At 1:14 AM 10/19/98, John Croteau wrote:
>Hi MM staff can anyone give us updated stats?
>This page is getting quite stale with facts fronm January.
>Or do we have to wait 3 more months?
>http://www.macromedia.com/support/shockwave/info/distribution/

You're right, that info is dreadfully outdated. There *are* people working
on the number story now, but I don't know when we'll have the next
iteration.

One of the problems we've had with numbers has been the download
ambiguity... most developers, for instance, have multiple browsers, even
multiple machines. Some people surf at home, some from the office, some on
the road. We can get *hard* numbers on the downloads and the CD
distributions, but many people really crave the number of unique users.
This one will take some work to get, but it's what clients want, so....

(To put things in context, it's still difficult to tell how many computers
are on the net, or even how many people on computers there are. No excuse,
just context.)

That's a useful approach you mentioned, JC, of measuring NS405+ browsers.
We also know that MacOS8.5 or iMac users will necessarily be configured,
and that Win98 users will most likely be configured. It's those with older
software that have the variable update rates, and I hope that we have
better numbers on these users in the relatively near future.

jd