Subject: Re: FLASH: The best Flash site ever?
From: Bob Schmidt
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:35:28 +0100

Biff! Bam! POW!

OUCH!

Ok, ok, I forgot about the suits and others who might not be open to this
kind of site. Sorry, guys (and gals). You're absolutely right, I shoulda
given you a heads up about the content.

As to the advanced state of the design, well the site originally pointed to
at the beginning of this thread certainly has an outstanding illustrative
style and it's a great example of what you can do with Flash animation. It
also has a great point/hover/click interactive storyline/adventure game
environment. It has a rich visual environment. It has great characters. It
has great music. It is truly a great flash site.

Now, without detracting in any way from M Zero's many accomplishments, I
think it is correct to say that what it doesn't include prevents it from
falling into the category of the greatest flash site ever, or even the
greatest flash site to date. Namely, spoken character dialogue. This is
without question one of the most compelling, and admittedly one of the most
advanced, of Flash technology capabilities.

And I fully realize that it may well have been a conscious design decision
on the part of the development team not to include spoken dialogue. Maybe
it was out of reach for time and budget reasons or due to the capabilities
of the team or studio equipment and software resources. Or maybe it was the
design team's preference.

However, because it is well within the capabilities of Flash, I believe
that the bar of greatness has been raised to a higher level. Great design
and lots of interactivity alone won't do it. Adding music won't do it. From
now on, it's going to take something more. It's going to take voice overs,
vocal characterizations and all of the theatrical/Hollywood/broadcast
showbiz qualities that implies, all the way up to lip sych (or near lip
sych) animation.

Bob Schmidt
www.provider.com
Author of The Geek's Guide to Internet Business Success
Published by John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0471288381
The First Book to Address the Business Side of the Web Design Business
http://www.provider.com/geeksguide