Subject: Re: FLASH: MM's Flash 4 wish list
From: Lulu
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:46:18 +0100

>Where is Flash Developer dot Com?

I apologize. I am now almost certain this is not the site name. And I
have been looking for the source for the past hour. The site is the place
where Wednesday night chats are advertised. I recall seeing a *Flash
Developer* animation off the main page and assumed it was called *Flash
Developer Dot Com*. Obviously I am wrong. I the chat transcript a fellow
from Macromedia is asked about creating a UNIX version of the plug and
he, as you pointed out, said that UNIX browsing is only a small
percentage of the people viewing the web. This is true but that doesn't
factor in the growth rate of linux, a UNIX varient.

For the past few years the installed number of linux users is doubling.
Right now it is at 7.5 million users. Next year it should easily double
especially given the amount of positive press it is receiving and the
ongoing public battle with Microsoft and people looking for an
alternative to NT given its new licencing policy. I am not inferring that
the growth of linux will continue to be expontential but to ignore an OS
that is going to mature over the next 3 to five years and have a GUI that
*joe average* can use within that time fram, Macromedia should not turn
its back on a piece of marketshare that is not only growing but has shown
a fierce allegance to its supporters.

If you feel Macromedia should be developing a shockwave and/or flash
plugin for Linux please go to:

http://www.linuks.ukpost.com/advocacy/shockwave.html

and you will see a link to petition form - its only two fields long.

Again I apologize for the misinformation about the name of the website.

-lulu