Subject: Re: FLASH: GRRR smartclip problem
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 20:51:52 +0100

repost (Sam, there seem to be many delays on the list lately --
sometimes even days...?)

Hi Tobie,

I've been looking at the menu smartclip over the past couple days too,
but I still don't understand exactly how it's set up. To give your
question a shot anyway:

that _parent._parent.items[x] line refers to the items array of the
instance of the (top-level) smartclip. I don't know how items[] gets
associated with the menu smartclip in the first place, but you can
assign values to it if you do so in the onClipEvent(load) routine, where
you also define the onMenu function that the clip will use. Eg, to
assign values that will be displayed in a textfield named selectedValue
when a value is selected, I used this routine successfully:

onClipEvent (load) {
function onMenu (item, label) {
_root.selectedValue = label;
}
this.items[0] = "ferns";
this.items[1] = "yews";
this.items[2] = "oaks";
this.items[3] = "clovers";
this.items[4] = "tulip trees";
}

I wasn't successful in later changing these values without creating a
whole new instance of the smartclip and putting new values into it's
onClipEvent(load) routine. (Just assigning new values to
_root.smartclipinstancename.items[x] from the main timeline didn't
work).

If you want to assign values from within the Flash development
environment, you just double-click the Value column of the Arrays item,
then double-click each entry and reset its value (or delete it with the
minus key, or add a new element with the plus key). If you can see the
new values in the development environment, you'll also see them in your
dropdown list when you test or run the movie. You have to define a
onMenu function if you want to *do* something with those values though.

Not sure if that helped, but that's all I know so far,
Helen
Flash 5 Journal: http://i-technica.com/flash5
Flash Q&A archive: http://i-technica.com/flashlist

Tobie Kerridge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've customised the "Menu" item which came in the smartclip library. I
> redefined the "Items" parameter by changing its array values, then I
> unchecked the "lock in instance" check box.
>
> It works, but in its original form.
>
> When the array is referenced ( the path from the script is like
> "_parent._parent.items[x] ) by the drop down action, the dynamic boxes are
> described by the old array; by its values and its length. There is no
> evidence of my new stuff...
>
> Has anyone else tried to customise this, or have any ideas for how to make
> it reflect my changes? Wierd...
>
> cheers
> Tobie

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list