Subject: Re: FLASH: PLEASE HELP: Flash 5 and midi files
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 21:32:06 +0100

At 3:40 PM 10/12/0, Debbie Miller wrote:
> It doesn't say so in the book or the help pages, so I guessing
> there isn't....

Good guess. ;-)

This came up twice here last week... if you find yourself in a crunch in
the future, then it can often help to read the existing conversation, to
give you the answers you seek before you need them. (No lecturing intended,
but it helps both you and other folks too.)

MIDI files are small, true. But MIDI Players are large... many times
they're larger than the entire Macromedia Flash Player. Built-in rendering
would break the core goals of small footprint, fast startup, easy
portability.

What about tapping into system-level MIDI? Well, they vary, and any time
you rely on a *range* of system components there are additional
configuration problems. In addition it takes more code to detect,
discriminate, handle for differences among possible MIDI Players. Then
there's the massive PC problem of combining such sounds with native
buttonclicks.

> Any why do wav files sound so crappy in Flash 5, and MP3 files
> are so much clearer?

Do all sites sound "crappy" in that browser? If they all sound different on
that one machine, then that could help point towards a configuration
difference. But if your SWFs sound "crappy" while other sites sound "not
crappy", then that may point to a content or handling difference.

(Just based on statistical posting patterns, I'd wonder whether perhaps
you're starting with an 8-bit 11 KHz WAV or such, instead of a full 16-bit
44.1 KHz sample... that comes up a lot online. I can't tell from here
whether that's the case there, though.)

For low-cost audio editors, you might wish to check at
http://www.download.com/ ... that's a good first stop.

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list