Subject: FLASH: Using Flash v. Director for CD projects...input from professionals
From: Bryan Ax
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:07:52 +0100

I'm about to get started on a project that will basically be a lot of
different learning activities for young kids...and am thinking about
changing my approach to creating the project.

But first, I wanted to get some input...

1. In Director, the project would be a fairly standard CD-ROM with stub
projector that calls other movies, allowing kids to play with different
activities, then go back to the stub projector, passing in various high
scores from the other movies. There is some tailoring which occurs - kids
will be asked some questions in the initial movie, then receive specific
tailored feedback about the answers they chose in other movies...i.e,
"because you're this type of person, we think you should pay careful
attention to this, this, and that". The CD will be developed to eventually
run on both Mac and PC.

2. Many of the graphics will be vector-based, including several animated
vector characters...I've never found a way that I'm 100% happy with for
bringing animated characters in to Director. I've come across problems with
importing Flash audio in, had trouble synching Flash movies to audio native
in Director. While I think overall Director does a great job of handling
Flash elements, I still have worries when I know those Flash movies are
going to need to be synched with sound. Anyone have a foolproof method to
share? This is probably the biggest sticking point for not just going ahead
full steam with Director - and I don't really want to turn all these nice
vector images in to bitmaps if I don't have to.

3. BECAUSE the majority of the graphics will be Flash elements, it just
seems to make more sense from a graphics POV to use Flash for the whole
project. Easier to synch elements, at least. However, I've never done a
Flash-based CD - I know you can create a projector out of a Flash movie -
but can you create a stub Flash projector which calls other Flash movies?
Sorry, I should be doing all the research on this, but I'm in Japan, don't
have any book resources with me, and getting online gets expensive
quickly...

4. I feel very comfortable with Lingo for everything from basic quizzes to
more advanced games. However, I haven't done much beyond basic "if then"
statements with Flash's action objects. So, there would be a learning curve
for creating things in Flash such as quizzes, and, what I'm more worried
about, the more difficult games that depend on lots of variables, lists, x
zooming across the screen only when y,z are true and q list isn't populated
and the game timer has less than 30 seconds on it...I've read a few basic
articles on doing this type of thing in Flash, but it was a few years ago
and my work experience hasn't given me any opportunities to do this type of
stuff yet. What sorts of issues have those of you out there run in to
creating advanced games in Flash, particularly those of you who felt like
you already knew how to do this in Director...

5. How difficult is it to store variables in one Flash movie and pass them
along to other Flash movies, when not on the web? I've done something like
it online where you post vars to an asp page, which can then pass them along
to another Flash movie, but what about in a CD environment where you cut
directly from one movie to another?

6. What other things am I forgetting to think about? Should I be aware of
but haven't had the experience yet to run in to?

7. Is there some happy medium - if I decide to do "a little of each" - can
Director movies call Flash movies on CD - and vice versa? And share
variables between? I would think so, but again, haven't done it, so there's
always some fear...I want to say I've read that getting variables from Flash
to Director is pretty straightforward, but going the other way isn't.

I appreciate any and all input - I know it's a lot of questions, but I
thought I should gather some more information before committing myself to
one approach or another. If you don't want to comment on all of them cause
you're busy, but do have something to say about one point or another, please
share.

Thanks,

Bryan Ax

Register before November 10 and save £200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com