Subject: Re: FLASH: streaming flash
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:57:02 +0100

At 07:55 PM 9/22/98 +0100, you wrote:
>does anyone know if flash streams audio? sort of like a quicktime movie that
>can start playing before it completely loads.

Hi Sean,

Yes, Flash can stream audio. If you set the Sync attribute in the Sound
tab of the Frame Properties window to "streaming", the audio data will
stream as part of the SWF file.

This is also the best way to maintain accurate sync between the audio and
the visual elements because Flash streams them together. If you set the
Sync attribute to Event, Flash will merely play the audio on it's own
timeline while the visual elements are streaming on their own timeline. If
the web is congested or your computer can't draw the graphics fast enough,
the visuals will run at a slower frame rate so as to still display every
frame. However, the audio keeps on playing at it's normal rate, thus
letting the audio and visuals get out of sync with each other. When the
audio is set to Streaming, the audio and visual data for EACH FRAME stream
together. Since you can't slow down the rate that audio is played back
without making it sound funny, Flash forces the animation to keep pace with
the audio timeline, even if it has to skip frames of animation to stay in
sync.

This is my current understanding.
If it's wrong, will someone please correct me?

Dave Hollinden
Sound Designer
Jet City Studios
2019 3rd Ave., Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98121
206-448-5854
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)