Subject: Re: FLASH: How do you deactivate lower level movies?
From: Paul Hagwood
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:06:12 +0100

--- Steve Chadwick <steveatstuff [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

> The problem I am having is that when a movie in a
> higher level is active,
> the buttons on the invisible level 0 are also still
> active and respond to
> mouseovers, clicks and so on.
>
> How do you deactivate them?
>
> I am using Flash 3
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve
Steve,

Two solutions:
1. when you load another swf into the main movie, send
the main movie to a different point in the timeline
where you don't have active buttons. (You can
deactivate buttons by creating a new keyframe and then
simply changing the properties from button to graphic.
2. If the above isn't possible, create a big blank
button that will sit in the background of your swfs
that load on top of your main movie. This big button
will fill the whole background and will only have a
"hit" state, do not put anything in the on, over, or
down frames. Then simply don't assign any action to
that button. Flash will only recognize the topmost
button and will ignore buttons that are hidden under
another button. (good trick to know when you are doing
pop-up windows.)

Hope that helps.

Paul