Subject: Re: FLASH: Copyrights
From: Chris de Deugd
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:02:12 +0100

Hi Cheri,

Cheri Harder wrote:

> I guess my question is "deeper" than this. I mean, I know I cannot legally
> "use" their artwork on my site. But what constitutes "use" is my question.
> If I were an artist that could, by hand, draw a character that was, for all
> intents and purposes, Mickey Mouse, or could easily be identified as such,
> am I using their artwork?

Yes. They own that character. The character is a creation that is carefully
designed - not just a couple of lines. It expresses and communicates something,
and it costs money and time to do that well. It is only natural that this is
protected by law. It is someone's " intellectual " property. I am not sure what
that is called in english.

> If I hand trace their artwork am I using it? If
> I digitally trace it? I guess I don't know where the line is.

Simple : have respect from someone else's work.

> If I were to
> find a good artist, as you say, that allowed me to use their artwork, and
> their artwork bore a striking (or even mediocre) resemblance to a known
> Warner Bros. character, would I be illegal? Does their copyright extend
> past their own employee's drawings?

It does. Any resemblance means you are profiting from their work. Tracing it to
use it is theft.

Hope this helps you,

Christina.