[Previous] [Next] - [Index] [Thread Index] - [Next in Thread]

Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #178
From: Danny Sullivan
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:27:19 +0100

> Someone who has a site, which is quite good, functions well etc.
> but is built using frames quite heavily. They say to you "we want
> to be higher in the search engines", after explaining to them about
> frames and search engines...what would you advise them to do?
> Re-build their site from scratch? Make do with the present site,
> and tweak other areas (metas etc.)?

If they are contemplating a redesign, tell them this is a good time to
dump frames. Otherwise, the reality is you'll probably have to work
within the existing site, making tweaks and possible use of doorway
pages. But if they are really keen on doing well at search engines, then
I'd come down heavily that the frames need to go.

By the way, thanks to those who mentioned my site. If you want a
page particularly on the topic of search engines and frames, see
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/frames.html

cheers,
danny