Subject: RE: UKNM: Another one bites the dust
From: Judith Atkins
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:57:03 +0100

We were working on a natural healthcare proposition last summer and had
meetings with, among others, Atlas. In the end we decided the market had
got rather confused and competitive although we were pretty horrified that
most of the people involved in the start-ups did not seem to come from a
background of understanding the natural healthcare business. This area has
more than it's fair share of idiosyncrasies.

In the end the team went off and have produced a niche site for products in
the natural healthcare arena for one's love life, namely
www.lovesuperstore.com which goes live finally tomorrow. It has been built
without borrowing any money at all, even from the bank manager. It may not
have celebs and huge pots of money but starting the corner shop rather than
the chain of department stores has to be the best way to go.

I think with this type of business it will work because of the very nature
that it is online and therefore "anonymous". Could you go into a shop and
ask for a product to help with "premature ejaculation"?

I was also pretty horrified when they seemed very pleased with themselves
that they had only spent a small amount on advertising and promotion. Maybe
that is another of the reasons it hasn't happened for them. In building the
brand they had to first establish what 'ClickMango' actually was.
Lovesuperstore tends to give you a pretty good idea what you're going to
find inside. I doubt that they will be the last to perish in this sector.

Judith Atkins
judithatkinsathotmail [dot] com

>From: "Richard Bailey" <RBaileyatgodado [dot] com>
>To: <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
>Subject: RE: UKNM: Another one bites the dust
>Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:24:52 +0100
>
>Before its time: Maybe
>Workable idea: Not without some physical shop******...?....******
>
>*******...?...********
>I used to work for www.Microfinder.com run by a sharp MD Terry, he started
>selling second user computers through the web site as an online buying club
>(at trade prices 30% off second user retail price), early 1997. With full
>stock list and on-line orders through e-mail credit card by phone only.
>Terry had to step back and wait. Even now there is not really enough trade
>to warrant shutting a shop to host the business online. Computers are
>something that people really shop for online too; Some of the largest
>sections in the auction sites.
>
>I think with only a small % of people using the internet on a daily basis
>(and fewer shopping) would you open a business that sold cosmetics without
>real world shop. I think there is a lot of ground in to be made in
>marketing, sales and trust on the internet before people will use it for
>buying such intimate products. You would want to smell and try such a
>product first. Maybe to sell for real on the internet you need to have a
>physical base for people to walk in to and handle the products. A massive
>electronic Argos. Maybe a future for malls where we go home empty handed
>after only buying fast food. All the products shelved up and waiting to be
>looked at, then ordered at leisure. I all know with most larger items you
>never seem to get the one in the shop why bother wasting all that time
>stocking up shops? Because we are all selfish and want it now, I don't
>even
>plan my food shopping. I am much more likely to buy something I have
>already used seen or eaten. How is that going to work with cosmetics on
>line? Avon (cosmetics) for example give away trial and cheap makeup to
>start
>the ball rolling. Just my view and I do like shopping too much.
>*******...?...*******
>
>Thank you,
>
>Richard Bailey
>Internet Sales Executive
>www.Godado.co.uk
>RBaileyatGodado [dot] com
>Tel: +44 (0)20 7236 7722

[Sam says: msg chopped]

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036