Subject: UKNM: Spam/email targeting
From: Tom
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:53:45 +0100

>Friday August 11, 2000
>
>Dear Tom,
>
>Our sources tell us that you're the ultimate Bon Jovi fan. Well,
>you'd better sit down for this? Jon and the boys are coming to a
>town near you! Find out when and where the New Jersey heartthrobs
>will be playing by searching CDNOW's Concert Calendar at:
>
>http://p04.com/t.d?VEL2v06->=/cdnow.com/concertcalendar/from=rex:x:cdn:0810
bonjf

>Plus, catch ALL the action of Bon Jovi's glam rock show at CDNOW's
>Summer Concert HQ, where you can...
etc etc. etc.

Now, here's a good example of how to really get it wrong. CDNow's mails
usually detail some good things, namely which of the titles in my wish list
are on sale. I glance at the mail, decide if I can afford a CD, and then
behave accordingly. This is A Good Thing, for which I subscribed.

I wasn't aware that I was The Ulimate Bon Jovi fan, however. Or indeed that
those New Jersey Heartthrobs would be playing an American town apparently so
near London. So, suddenly CDNow have gone from "useful and helpful" to
"incompetent jerks" in one mis-targeted spam. Bon Jovi, indeed........anyone
know of a good libel lawyer?

Tom Dussek
Tui

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036