Subject: UKNM: RE: iMode+Rant=JB?
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:28:12 +0100

also:

> JB Writes:
> Because i-mode is a Ferrari compared to the Morris Minor that is
> WAP. Bring
> on G3 and real colour, full screen, mobile internet browsing and I will be
> converted!

ahhhahhh the batteries are not getting that much more powerful that
quickly!! so you won't be seeing that until blue tooth remote batteries are
available every where....

and Palm has proved that you do need to design for the device and don't seem
to have done badly in black and white while every other manufacturer was
offering colour cut down PC operating systems... so you are also a long way
off...

JB writes:
Yup - I reckon it's going to be about 3-4 years before I get what I am only
dreaming about at the moment..... but it will be worth the wait (I might
have to succumb to a mobile before then!).
But iMode is better than the Mcommerce we have here (let's dump the WAP tag
for this one!) and will be for some time. Credit to NTT Docomo for just
going and doing it rather than meeting in small cliques with the competition
to discuss how the industry can retain a stranglehold on the market, taking
far too long before finally coming up with a protocol that could have taken
ten minutes on the back of a fag packet (OK - maybe a little longer) with
little real care about what the consumer wants.
As for 'Internet TV' I am HIGHLY sceptical of this - not because it won't
eventually work... but because Sky and OnDigital (and others) are not going
to create open worlds where you can browse the whole net, f.o.c. at the
touch of a button - they are going to create their own little intranets with
invitees who pay large sums of money for the mall-space. Customers will be
kept within this space, unaware that there is so much to discover out there,
telling their mates that the Internet is boring and ordering Pizza through
the latest franchisee using a method that takes twice the amount of time
(especially with THEIR typing skills) and gives none of the benefit.
If they do decide to make it slightly open then they will ensure that the
whole of the Internet gets one, slow, channel and each of their franchisees
get a channel to market their wares.... and they'll call them really obvious
names like... the MONEY channel, the HISTORY channel, the PIZZA channel etc.
Here's to the corporatisation of the Internet.... it was always going to
happen - you can't stem the tide! I remember when you could find these
great little sites with real character run by Bob in Detroit who has a
special interest... found any of them lately? No? Why - figure that one out!

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036