Subject: RE: UKNM: Re: Mobile Commerce
From: Jonathan Peterson
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:36:54 +0100

> As far as I know network theory the maximum bandwidths that
> can be obtained
> through different media; Optical, copper and Microwave.
> Microwave wins hands
> down. It can handle 10 times that of a large bundle of fiber
> optical cable.

I don't know much about microwave but this would really surprise me if
it were true (not that 'large budle of fiber' is a well defined thing).
It is also the case as I understand it that microwave is line-of-site.

The problem with fibre is that you have to be attached to it - but a
single fibre pair carries something like 1.2 Terabits/second, which is
more than a microwave connection shurely? Certainly, the bundles of
fibre being laid by telco's around Europe at the moment carry something
in the order of hundreds - low thousands of terabits/second.

In any case, very-high bandwidth is now bottlenecked at the routing
device rather than the transport device, so it's all somewhat arbitrary.

> So the technology we have has to catch up with the science we
> have had for a
> while. The future of m-commerce is here the science is here
> its just the
> details that need looking into. Personally I can not wait to

Theoretical science is always ahead of practical implementation. This
gap appears to be increasing, however.

> unlock myself
> from this desk and do some work in a park.

The problem with mobile working is not that our computers are tied to
the network, but that our workers are tied to their computers. Get a
pencil, get a printout, go to the park. It's easy!

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036