Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Mobile Commerce
From: Jon Vivers
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:34:04 +0100

Hi There are a number of comany's in the UK operating this type of service
already, echarge and premiumkey are the first to come to mind.

The problem is not with paying for services other than phone calls on your
bill. But with ICTIS refusing to allow 'dropcharges' of more than £1.50 to
be made by the telco's - this effectively means that if to pay for
something costing £150 you would have to stay on a premium rate line
(charging at £1.50 per minute) for 100 mins. When single drop charges at
higher values are allowed, I am sure this will be a more widespread payment
system. However this technology will only work with dial up connections.

Jon Vivers
European Ecommerce Association

At 09:49 18/08/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >Technically you can do this kind of thing on the Internet now - the thing
> >that's stopped your telco taking payments for services on your phone bill
>is
> >regulatory, not technical - BT for instance, are not allowed to bill you
>for
> >non-BT services on your bill (and I think they're restricted on the
>services
> >they offer themselves that can be added to your bill). Doesn't mean it
>won't
> >change in the future, but do we want to give telcos this kind of power.
> >
> >Dave
>
>A form of this must be possible, though, as Tango sold their orange
>megaphone thing by having buyers call a premium phone line that cost £2.99.
>That would have been billed to the purcheser by their telco, so surely the
>telco is brokering the transaction in some way?
>
>Tom Dussek

Mike Baines tel: +44 20 791 62875
European Ecommerce Association (EEA)
Lupus House fax: +44 20 728 78555
11-13 Macklin Street vinuatcommercenet [dot] org [dot] uk
London WC2B 5NH http://www.commercenet.org.uk

ScreamingMedia the leading global technology platform for
the aggregation and distribution of digital content over the
Internet, is now operating in the United Kingdom.
Get relevant and customised content to attract visitors
to your site and keep them there. Click Here!

http://adcenter.in2.com/cgi-bin/click.cgi?tid=31036