Subject: Re: UKNM: Beeb changes direction
From: Richard Longhurst
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:05:22 GMT

More grist for the Beeb mill from their press release:

David Atter, Sales & Marketing Director, beeb.com, commented: " beeb.com has
evolved to be your starting point for shopping on the web. Many people know
that you can use the Internet to buy goods and services from the comfort of
your desk. However, there are few, if any, websites that will provide you
with high quality advice and impartial information on how to buy, where to
buy and what to buy in a totally safe environment - which you'd expect from
BBC Worldwide."

So that's "impartial information on how to buy, where to buy and what buy"

Since when have paid-for adverts been an impartial source of information? I
can't find any links to external shops other than thoses that have been paid
for. Or have I missed some?

And those magazine subscriptions beeb.com promotes? Are they the best music,
gardening, football and car mags, or are they all BBC magazines?

And the books in the book shop? All published by the BBC, aren't they?

If punters come to beeb.com expecting what David Atter talks about, they're
going to be sorely disappointed.

"Your starting point for shopping on the Web" is the 48-point promise the
site makes to visitors and it doesn't deliver.

Richard
http://www.richclickings.com