Subject: Re: UKNM: The Big Retailers - was Toys R Us
From: Sajid Mohammed
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 17:21:19 GMT

---Steve Johnston/IMRG <steveatimrg [dot] org> wrote:

> >Don't the big retailers need someone to tell them that this whole thing
> >is an opportunity rather than a threat (isn't that the new media
> >marketeer's message?).
>
> Every 'new media marketeer' thinks they are meeting this
> bloody-obvious-retail-opportunity-why-are-they-so-dim' type stuff for the
> first time

Yeah! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Seriously, the one topic that has yet to appear in this thread is the
aspect of e-commerce that isn't retail, but business-to-business
procurement.

Yours truly thinks (and it's an unsubstantiated conviction) that until
we live in a society where it's as feasible for low-income households
to get online and buy as it is for the affluent, retailing to the
consumer will never really take off big time. Anyone care to hazard a
guess as to how much of the UK population has net access at home & a
credit card?

On the other hand, procurement for business is a market where at the
end of the day buyers will inevitably be buying the same stationery,
janitorial supplies, computer consumables etc. that keep the wheels of
capitalism turning week in, week out - the possibilities are endless.
If there's going to be a boom in online selling, it's going to come
more from B2B than retail aimed at consumers.

And if it means I never get another Viking catalogue ever again...

Sajid Mohammed