Subject: Re: UKNM: How to increase banner click through rates
From: jude robinson
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:50:44 GMT

William Makower wrote:

> William Wemyss was of course right in his analysis that the banner was in
> its infancy. What though does the adult life of this babe look like? Imagine
> a world where there is no need for a web site just a banner which is
> interactive, on which you can receive information about your chosen product
> and order it direct from the banner. If this is the logical step for the
> emergence of the banner into adulthood then targeting becomes even more key
> and vast horizontal portals will be seen as a highly extravagant way of
> reaching a very unsegmented constituency.
> Panlogic's vision is of rich media banners being delivered to targeted niche
> sites where the user is already interacting with a chosen site and has no
> interest in being sent off to the advertiser's site but purely wants to add
> (purchase, receive information, enter a competition etc.) to their existing
> interest.

Wow - this sounds suspiciously like a "website". Now why would you want
to stuff that into something ~450x60 pixels? If you use a "link", you
can send someone to a really big "website", where you can let loose with
all sorts of flash, applets, activeX etc on a much bigger scale..

If someone is interested in something (let's say "a banner" (unlikely, I
know, but for arguments sake..)) then they're quite happy to click on it
and be taken somewhere. It's the whole principle of the "WWW" - you know
- "hypertext" 'n that.. Imagine them sitting in front of their computer:

"Hmmm...that banner really *really* interests me. But I don't want to
click on it 'cause I don't want to leave this website. Ooh, the dilemma.
Should I? Shouldn't I?"

Ridiculous, isn't it? If you have a look at the top left of your
"browser" you'll see a little arrow pointing left. It's called the "back
button", and users know what it does and how to use it (unless you've
built some abomination of a website that's got all the usability of a
dried turd - the words "flash", "framesets" and "Boo" spring to mind,
for some reason..)