Subject: Re: UKNM: Amazon.com
From: Dan Leighton
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:47:40 GMT

I second that.

My old man (who has the technical aptitude of an aol user and uses me as
his tech support) rang me up at 11pm asking me how to order a book from
amazon - he gave up in the end - one lost sale to amazon.

On a wider note, just because we have been using the web for umpteen
years doesn't mean we should forget the (majority of) people who have
just started using it for the first time.

Anybody remember how they felt the first day they used the web?
Clueless is a word that springs to mind. In my experience, that's how
most new users still feel when confronted with anything more complicated
than having to click a single button in the middle of a blank page.

We can't assume that the average web competency is going up - given the
exponential rise of people coming on line the average web competency is
probably going down.

Anyone got any further experience here?

d.