Subject: UKNM: RE: Customer Experience
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:10:23 GMT

Stewart Dean wrote:

> Two words - customer experience.
>
> Nearly all techies don't get it or don't understand why it's important.

Stef wrote:

I object to that. not that it's not true, but I haven't seen a greater
degree of cluefulness in the other departments either. especially not
marketing.

JB writes:

Both right, of course. Although because one marketing department doesn't
'get it', it doesn't mean that they all don't. The trouble with techies is
that they come up with ideas that are 'cool' to them without ever thinking
about whether their idea is practical.... which in 95% of cases - it isn't .
Far better to know how the various bits of a site function, what they can do
and what they limitations are and then sit in the place of your customer. Or
even, as we have just done, send your customers a questionnaire and ... wait
for it.. read their replies. Leave the CSI to the internal and external PR
departments and read the individual comments.

It reminds me of talking to a techie who had just come up with a page that
could randomly display 20 book jackets from a selection of 40,000. Cool -
maybe, but why would our customers want it?

Perhaps this particular programmer wanted all the visitors to recognise his
skills: "oh, that's really clever, it must have been programmed by a
genius!" Why else?

John

http://www.thegoodbookguide.com