Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Amazon.com
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 23:59:59 GMT

rChris Heathcote wrote:

> At 11:59 am +0000 on 21/2/00, Duncan Clubb wrote:
>
> >I've long thought and
> >argued that IT bods are long experienced in producing UI's for
> >applications, but the biggest problem is the refusal of most people to
> >consider web sites as applications rather than flat media.
>
> I wouldn't say programmers are the best people to design interaction
> - they're too concerned with keeping the code easy to write, and
> don't understand why a Delete All Files button shouldn't be put next
> to the Check Mail button[0].

I'd hate to be misunderstood here. As, I stated in my original mail, I
didn't say that techies are better than anyone else at this, just that
they're not worse.
(that said, graphic designers (and their handlers) assuming that visual
design == usability design is *the* most common web mistake)

I also don't believe that much of the usability theory (especially much
of research methodolgy) is much use to anyone.

only one thing works really well: spending a very large amount of time
surfing other sites, and looking out carefully for when *you* make
mistakes browsing sites. Was it your mistake, or was the site
misleading? why was it confusing? why did it take you so long to find
that piece of information? Did that site do something very intuitively
and cleverly? then steal it.

and as well as that, being very aware that

a) sophistication of features is usually inversely proportional to ease
of use. strike a balance, and then strike out 3 more features.

b) (too obvious, but still neglected)

every customer is less experienced than you are. make it simpler.
always.

Me, I prefer command lines (faster). but I don't expect my mum to.

stef

--
/** Stefan Magdalinski, computin
info: http://www.isness.org/house/boat/sig.txt **/