Subject: Re: UKNM: small businesses marketing on the internet
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:34:41 GMT

> >Tim Ireland said
> > > Here's a free quote from Book II:
> > > "A Domain Name
> > > Well, this really isn't necessary - unless you think so.........
> >..............if you're a
> > > plumber with one van, no one is going to blink an eyelid if
> > > your web site
> > > address is http://www.ispname.com/joesplumbing/"
> >
> Jeff Marshall wrote:
> >I beg to differ. I, and lots of other people, when we still need to
flick
> >through the Yellow Pages, will give more credence to those advertisers
who
> >have chosen to have a banner/boxed display. They are the ones I ring
first,
> >'cus however naive it is of me, I see them as more serious and
professional
> >than the basically listed companies who just have a standard entry .
>
> Yes - I do that too. Funnily enough, I recently hired a plumber in this
> way. :)

I don't know if it's normal <g>, but I tend to look for the closest guy -
even if he's got a small ad. Even the small ads cost money, but you can see
he's gone to the effort of being listed. I've seen some pretty good sites on
subdomains - and some really crap ones with a domain of their own.

> >Having
> >a corporate domain name is in some respects the equivalent. I treat
more
> >seriously businesses with their own appropriate domain name. I'm sure
> >others do too. But then, as a registrar (amongst other things) I would
say
> >that wouldn't I? :-)
>
> I tend to agree. It looks somewhat naive if a business uses a subdomain
or
> third level domain - especially if a less salubrious (or free) ISP is
> providing the hosting services. The overall impression on business
> correspondence and publicity material - in effect, you're paying to
> advertise your ISP.

As I've said, if you want to publish your URL on letterheads, cards etc.
then you will need a domain name - but there are small businesses who can
benefit from using the web without this (even if it's only until they learn
enough about the web to be able to buy/secure a domain name with
confidence).

There's been a lot of negatives to this - but this is in a group of relative
experts. There are still a lot of otherwise smart people out there who don't
know the difference between a URL and an email address - I'm not going to
send them into a pit of vipers without A: advising them of the best options
and B: letting them know that the action may not be necessary in the first
place.

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter, Designercity (www.designercity.com)

http://www.buymybook.co.uk/