Subject: RE: UKNM: small businesses marketing on the internet
From: Jo Chipchase
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:50:56 GMT

Jeff Marshall wrote:

>Tim Ireland said
> > Here's a free quote from Book II:
> > "A Domain Name
> > Well, this really isn't necessary - unless you think so.........
>..............if you're a
> > plumber with one van, no one is going to blink an eyelid if
> > your web site
> > address is http://www.ispname.com/joesplumbing/"
>
>I beg to differ. I, and lots of other people, when we still need to flick
>through the Yellow Pages, will give more credence to those advertisers who
>have chosen to have a banner/boxed display. They are the ones I ring first,
>'cus however naive it is of me, I see them as more serious and professional
>than the basically listed companies who just have a standard entry .

Yes - I do that too. Funnily enough, I recently hired a plumber in this
way. :)

>Having
>a corporate domain name is in some respects the equivalent. I treat more
>seriously businesses with their own appropriate domain name. I'm sure
>others do too. But then, as a registrar (amongst other things) I would say
>that wouldn't I? :-)

I tend to agree. It looks somewhat naive if a business uses a subdomain or
third level domain - especially if a less salubrious (or free) ISP is
providing the hosting services. The overall impression on business
correspondence and publicity material - in effect, you're paying to
advertise your ISP.

Jo.
CAN-U-HACK-IT
Internet & Publicity Services