Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] RE: Blind Readers
From: Melanie BEECH
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:28:40 -0000

> Someone earlier mentioned the Disability Act ,is there any
> other pending
> legislation that may make access a requirement for sites?

<caveat>

I am not a lawyer, but this is my interpretation </caveat>

The current disability legislation makes the legal requirement for disabled
acces to web sites implicit, even if it does not explicitly state that
disabled users must have access to web sites. In theory, a company can be
forced to provide its products and services in a way that is accessible to
disabled users, e.g. by providing a wheelchair ramp at the entrance to the
shop.

If you consider the web site as a shop, there is a very strong case that the
current legislation can be used to enforce disabled access to web sites,
especially if the company does not offer any other channel for disabled
users to access their products and services.

There has yet to be a test case on this subject, but it's probably just a
matter of time.

Finally, not making your site accessible to the disabled is not good
business sense - there are many disabled people, whether visually impaired,
those with motor disabilities or whatever who would be keen to use the
internet to make their purchases easier, as shopping in the high street,
while largely possible, can be major hassle. Making your site accessible
opens you up to new markets and can represent a genuine competitive
advantage where rival sites are not accessible. Given that basic
accessibility is not that hard to achieve, there is no reason not to make
this a core requirement for future sites.