Subject: Re: UKNM: 'Wacky Names'
From: Terry Kendrick
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:02:54 +0100

Tsugumi makes some good points about brands but one part of the post made
me think .........

>. Egg for example,
>despite the 'individual money matters' strapline, has led on price with all
>its product offerings. The 'individualised' element appears forgotten
>throughout the site. This suggests that it will have "bought" customers,
>rather than built loyal relationships. Ultimately, the value of the brand
is
>being diluted by inconsistent communications and price based offerings.

My feeling is that being loyal on the net is a strange concept. It's not
about loyalty it's about the best deal. I used Infoseek then Alta Vista
Came along, then I moved to Northern light, a brief stop off for a couple
of months with Alltheweb(FAST), and I currently use Google. I have no
loyalty whatsoever - the best deal will do. The internet encourages this
promiscuity because information is freely available and switching is
easy. I cannot think of a single site (apart from my own and my son's
www.rtguitar.org) that I'm loyal to. Most of my bookmarks are just there
until a better deal comes along.

In financial services you have either promiscuity or apathy - loyalty is
not a word I've felt compelled to use when I've consulted for financial
services companies. Yeah yeah yeah... nice idea but I can''t find loyal
members of the banks or insurance companies amongst my friends. How can you
really be loyal to a bunch of people who you don't trust a great deal? You
may not switch but it would be dangerous to call that loyalty.

Also, on the net,financial services are are not competing with the high
street or out of town (such as other product areas - groceries for
example) they are competing with the direct telephone guys and gals who
have seen that there is little added value so the best source of advantage
is to strip cost out. It's a brave (consultant's term for loony) thing to
do to avoid driving by price even if you market with a smokescreen. Try to
build in value-for-more-margin again all you like but you've still got to
get some volume before you can even begin to talk about customer retention.

Plenty of room for segmentation with the online brands though. You could
sell Egg with an upmarket set of "added value" products under the label
Cress or a downmarket price driven
"free porn and drugs for points" label - Chips. So you could be an Egg
and Cress or, under a diluted brand, an Egg and Chips customer.

Terry

Terry Kendrick
School of Management, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ. UK
Direct line on Mondays, Fridays and Thursday morning: +44 (0)1603 593217
Home office at other times: +44 (0)1603 628818
More about Terry : http://www.terrykendrick.co.uk
(updated May 2000)