Subject: Re: UKNM: Real Names
From: Mike Bracken
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:47:03 +0100

It seems to me that RealNames has as many marketing and perception problems
as technical ones. Another service - go.com IIRC - launched at roughly the
same time and got loads of attention despite having a much poorer service -
it's essentially a dutch auction for preferential listings.

Although they've got a deal with AltaVista, which at least gives them some
publicity but isn't too good financially, they really need to get deals
with other 'portals' to establish a de facto standard, but as was rightly
pointed out, there's nothing technical to stop others doing this.

I doubt that even if there was a widespread take-up of RealNames in the UK
and Europe whether this would influence the bigger picture enough to make
it popular with Yahoo, Netscape et al. Hypothetical I know, but would it be
worth any marketing spend if it didn't really take-off in the US but did
here?

Mike