Subject: Re: UKNM: Communicating trust poorly: Zoom.co.uk
From: Chris Locke
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:10:55 +0100

At 09:12 AM 6/16/99 +0100, Azeem wrote:

<snip Zoom rant>

I completely agree. A mysterious ad campaign for a brand that unless you
one of the 0.0001% of people who read the business/sci-tech sections
religiously you'd not associate with Arcadia.

Then, a site which is a step back to frame-based content aggregating
'portals' with no further explanation of the Zoom branding. And, to
compound the error, many of the pages loaded into 'content' frameset are
direct from the companies sites, so unless you watch the fringes of your
browser you might not even be aware of which provider/brand the content is
from. Then there is no attempt to integrate or contextulise the content
outside of just loading it into the frameset. And also, once you drill
down the content site's pages their own coding breaks the frames and loads
new pages into the full-browser, thus magically removing Zoom's branding
altogether (this happens with Expedia, thisislondon etc).

>Questions:
>
>1. Why aren't Zoom up front as to who *and* what they are?

I dunno. Zoom is perceived as a meta-brand for Arcadia online, but the
execution is confusing.

>2. Why when one registers does it not tell you you are signing up for an
>ISP service?

dunno - it seemed clear to me that it was an ISP offering from the first
page about it, but again, why do I want to have a Zoom email address when
no-one knows what the brand is and there's little attempt to establish
'lifestyle' qualities for it? And why the hell do I want to apply for
internet access from a web page? . . .surely if I'm looking at that page .
. .

>3. Why can't you contact Zoom, except by the heavily promoted premium rate
>phone number?

they've gotta make money somehow

>>and number four
>4. Who is behind it anyway?

Eva Pascoe/4th Room? I think.

Consolidating an on-line offering across many brands within a Group is
always going to be immensely difficult (see Pathfinder etc). In the
clothing market it's even more difficult, as Zoom needs to represent a
single brand offering across shops & customers as diverse as Burtons, Top
Shop, Evans and Hawkshead -customers that may share precious little common
ground.

They wouldn't build an Oxford Street store that used a single visual feel
to sell to all these customers, and they wouldn't create an ad campaign
that used the same visuals for all these customers - so why on earth would
you create a site that subsumed the unique and valuable brand identities of
these clothes shops under something that was so vague? Each of the
indivudal operating companies within Arcadia are very good at selling to
their market - Zoom may prevent them from doing that on-line.

Chris.