Subject: Re: UKNM: Free ISP business model
From: Paul Murphy
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:37:50 +0100

>At 12:15 pm +0100 16/6/99, Alex Dale wrote:
>>Most of our research suggests that users run a couple of free ISPs from their
>>desktop. They tend to go to the one that works the best (speed, reliability
>>etc) and / or the one that has the content they want. So if you are a
>>Barclays
>>customer and you want to check your current account, you will probably click
>>on the Barclays icon rather than Freeserve, MSN or Virgin. If however you
>>want
>>to know about operating systems, you might click on MSN.
>
>You've got sophisticated users.
>
>A lot of people (the majority according to old BBC research) don't even
>know if they have a modem or not; let alone be able to switch from one ISP
>to another...

i agree with azeem - i'd be very surprised if many people can actually
manage that number of free accounts especially as the installations tend to
decimate whatever you may already have set up...

editor - new media creative
centaur communications
50 poland street
london - w1v 4ax
T: +44 (0) 171 578 7247
F: +44 (0) 171 970 4899
paulatliketv [dot] com (mailto:paulatliketv [dot] com)