Subject: UKNM: Re: They're dropping like flies.....
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 18:23:13 +0100

Darren Wallace let us know about:
> Online service shot dead
>
> The UK's internet industry suffered another blow today with the closure of
> the-bullet.com

I really must say that the-bullet was second string in many ways (sorry
guys) so again, it is far from a 'death knell for the industry'. Rather, it
is a warning to all those who would try and profit from a poorly realised
and/or shabbily executed concept.

I know I'm going to get some flak for this kind of statement - especially
when it seems to be made with the benefit of hindsight. I tell you what,
here's a quote from this very list that outlines a quality-control issue
regarding the-bullet, well ahead of this announcement:

************
BTW, it should be noted that when text goes from a Mac to PC (via email)
that the character "-" becomes a "Ð" (how this is going to turn out for
anybody reading from a Mac is anybody's guess).
<cheeky>
The Bullet should be aware of this and either inform their copywriter to
attach the text as a doc - or teach the coder how to read.
</cheeky>
************

On top of this, the site was rarely updated enough to be truly useful
(they're still, quite ironically, running that 'green typing fingers'
article). Hardly having their finger on the pulse, they ran a piece on a
certain auto-dealing site and how blah it was, yet their scuttlebutt team
failed to pick up what was fairly common knowledge; that recruiters were out
in force trying to source new talent for the venture. Most galling of all,
their 'Bash the Fox' feature was a very poor copy of urban75's excellent
generative model. Mike Slocombe should sue.

There's more - but the core problem lies in the model for monetisation.
Wouldn't you agree that us industry folk are the worst (and most cynical)
customers in the world? Not a target audience I'd like to take on.

That said, my new book is out now and priced at a very reasonable £7.95

;o)

Tim Ireland
www.designercity.com
www.buymybook.co.uk