Subject: Re: UKNM: Whats next after Freeserve?
From: Paul Douglas
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:43:17 GMT

James Downes wrote:

>Remember hardly anyone needs State of the Art CPUs (Pentium III at 450
>MHz or whatever), certainly not for surfing.

I'm not convinced about this. Sure, it's possible to get on the Net with an
old 386 or whatever, but the more work that can be carried out locally, the
faster the Net can appear. Running Java and ActiveX applets for example, or
sifting through a larger cache to save pulling the page from a distant Web
server. An online shopping site could thus work by having a very elaborate
VRML world stored locally, which is simply updated from the Net rather than
wholly run from a remote server. And as the browsers get bulkier and
hungrier, this inevitably drives the hardware market forward.

Paul