Subject: Re: UKNM: Skills shortage? No. Investment shortage? yes
From: Sam Carrington
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:53:34 GMT

Stefan Magdalinski wrote:

> I've never really taken much notice of what people's degrees are or
> where there from, because I've never seen any correlation between it and
> talent, or understanding of the web.

> a few things work for me; enthusiasm, intelligence, a good collection of
> previous URLs. Experience of Front Page, Dreamweaver, and actually
> having been on a New Media course would probably count against you,
> because I've never seen any academic work in this field that wasn't
> drivel.

Fair comment Stef; my course was far from being a "New Media Course". If
anything it was more grounded in traditional media production techniques
and theory, and gave a broad technological overview. I've had a few
years experience since graduating and I have to say I learned more in
the first two years of real work than I ever did on the degree.

IMHO By definition any course which pitches itself as a Vocational New
Media course is going to dissatisfy - The industry changes too
frequently for course content and staff awareness to keep up. Also I
found deadlines in academia were way longer the far tighter commercial
requirements. However, any course which prepares you to deal with
getting a brief in the morning, and requires a complete production by
the end of the afternoon is going in the right direction!

I'd agree with you on the "good collection of URLs" At Sense, its fair
to say that quality URLs from applicants will always count for more than
any academic experience. Practice over theory every time!

--
sam carrington // web designer // sensei.co.uk