Subject: Re: UKNM: Skills shortage? No. Investment shortage? yes
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:09:39 GMT

Sam Carrington wrote:
> Huddersfield's new media courses are quite good, from what I hear,
> although I have no experience of them myself, a couple of good friends
> have taken them (MA or MSc I beleive).

I've never really taken much notice of what people's degrees are or
where there from, because I've never seen any correlation between it and
talent, or understanding of the web.

a few things work for me; enthusiasm, intelligence, a good collection of
previous URLs. Experience of Front Page, Dreamweaver, and actually
having been on a New Media course would probably count against you,
because I've never seen any academic work in this field that wasn't
drivel.

I'm very happy to take inexperienced individuals (almost totally
inexperienced, can you use a mouse?), if you can demonstrate enthusiasm
and intelligence. I always think back to '95, when companies were asking
for 3-4 years web experience, etc, etc.

And if you do join, I'll pay you a decent wage, because I don't believe
than any amount of self-justifying guff about 'keeping them keen and
lean and hungry, it's for their own good' can be used as an excuse to
keep you sleeping well while you exploit the fuck out of people.

oh, and I'm hiring, but unsolicited approaches from agencies are not
welcome.

stefan

--
/** Stefan Magdalinski, computin