Subject: Re: UKNM: First Tuesday events
From: Ian Fenn
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 12:57:53 GMT

At 14:12 13/03/00 +0000, Claire wrote:
>First Tuesday events are anything but a closed shop - but are heavily
>oversubscribed (usually by around three times). Hence the fact that the
>company has extended its London meets from the first Tuesday of each month
>to virtually every week.

In my experience the problem isn't not being invited, but being turned away
at the door!

This Tuesday I turned up to find that the event had a £10 admission charge,
which hadn't been mentioned on the web site or in follow-up correspondence.
Unfortunately this omission meant that I didn't have the necessary cash on
me.

I was therefore relieved to see a sign that welcomed payment by Visa card.

Imagine my horror as the Visa debit card I eagerly offered was turned down
on the grounds that it wasn't a Visa Credit card.

By the time I found a cashpoint it was a quarter of an hour into the event
and I decided that I couldn't be arsed to return.

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn MA
Member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals