Subject: UKNM: First Tuesday Events
From: Claire Thompson
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:57:11 GMT

I was sorry to hear that Ian was unable to attend a recent First Tuesday
event due to lack of cash.

I'll be contacting him personally with an apology on First Tuesday's behalf,
but for anyone reading this and planning to attend an event, some are
charged for, others not. The company has done well to maintain free access
as sacrosanct on the first Tuesday of every month so far.

My personal advice to anyone planning to attend would be: in general expect
to pay around £10 and then if it's free it's a bonus!

For an evening's entertainment, top flight speakers and the contacts you can
make, this fee level seems to me to be excellent value for money and far
from a deterrent from attending.

Often event sponsors cover the admission fee - for example at the recent
'Financial First Tuesday', Hoovers.com facilitated free access to all
attendees - a great way of marketing yourself to this audience:-)

Claire Thompson
Gnash Communications

>First Tuesday events are anything but a closed shop - but are heavily
>oversubscribed (usually by around three times). Hence the fact that
the
>company has extended its London meets from the first Tuesday of each
month
>to virtually every week.

In my experience the problem isn't not being invited, but being turned
away
at the door!

This Tuesday I turned up to find that the event had a £10 admission
charge,
which hadn't been mentioned on the web site or in follow-up
correspondence.
Unfortunately this omission meant that I didn't have the necessary cash
on
me.

I was therefore relieved to see a sign that welcomed payment by Visa
card.

Imagine my horror as the Visa debit card I eagerly offered was turned
down
on the grounds that it wasn't a Visa Credit card.

By the time I found a cashpoint it was a quarter of an hour into the
event
and I decided that I couldn't be arsed to return.

All the best,

--
Ian Fenn MA
Member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals