Subject: RE: UKNM: Virtual Communities, Avatars etc. . .]
From: Dee Edwards
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:11:44 GMT

There are some very good sites out of Finland. Also in Shockwave, but much
better than Dobedo. Dobedo isn't very interactive except for the chat part,
it just has silly static backgrounds. But the Finnish sites have very nice
elements of interactivity, such as asking a virtual bar tender is somebody
has been there or if anyone has asked after you. Also, they have online
gaming which is done in a social way and more appealing to mass market.
They have been developed as branding exercises or development, but I guess
this is where the most innovative stuff is done.

But you are right about personalising avatars (but perhaps if it is for Boo,
you personalise yourself according to age and favourite clothes or favourite
designer?) and the cost factor, although I guess the new Altavista and
Freeserve deals may have some impact on this. And also, who wants to spend
time talking to 18 year olds who should be doing their college work?
Although I guess considering the recent recruitment discussion, this could
be a good way of catching them young ;-)

Anyhow, I suppose you guessed the downside of these sites - they are in
Finnish.

Regards,
Dee

*****