Subject: RE: UKNM: Virtual Communities, Avatars etc. . .
From: Briony Pope
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:53:54 GMT

About 2 years ago I did some work with Worldsaway - which is a subsidiary of
Fujitsu.

Worldsaway have a number of worlds - Dreamscape was their most
popular/populated
But they also had 2 others worlds aimed at particular audiences - a
Gay/Lesbian/bisexual one - I think it was called Pride and one for silicon
valley.

The software was quite sophisticated, you could customise your avatar - buy
new heads, give people presents like magic wands, garlands, (someone gave me
a head!). You could have your own private 'lawn' (like a private chat room
but you would set the decor).

I spent some time in Dreamscape meeting people etc...
It was absolutely incredible how long people would spend on it. I overheard
a conversation between a couple of old timers who said that back in
September (that would have been sept 97) they were spending 40 hours a week
'in world'. I spoke to a lawyer who would go online for an hour or so before
going to work (it was UK afternoon - so it must have been 5 in the morning
there!).

It wasn't just US people - I also met some Europeans, an Italian and a Dutch
girl.

(people would pay Worldsaway for the number of hours they were in the world
- either through their CompuServe account or directly by credit card. It
wasn't cheap but the hourly rate did go down the more you used it.)

Worldsaway were very interested in working with other companies to create
new worlds for particular audiences. I don't know how far they got with this
because I stopped working with them in about Feb 98.

The only thing is, I've tried to look them up and either its all been
pulled, or their server is down at the moment. From the dates on the URLs I
found on av it looks like it all might of been pulled in August last year...

However this gives a good idea of what sort of stuff it looked like:
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Tower/1143/worldsaway.html

The urls should be:

3. WorldsAway Site Index
Introductions to each Avaterra.com virtual zone. Dreamscape New Radio World
ClubConnect. General FAQ. Register as a member of a virtual world. Join...
Last modified on: 14-Aug-1999 - 9K bytes - in English

5. WorldsAway Club Connect
Come meet other like-minded individuals at fun and informative events.
You'll be glad you came! Club Connect is part of a larger virtual world:
New...
Last modified on: 12-Aug-1999 - 13K bytes - in English

If you need any more info ian - come talk to me.
Briony