Subject: RE: UKNM: CallNet0800
From: Giles Turnbull
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:07:05 GMT

Sam wrote:
> and I quote from the pop-up window on their splash page:
>
> "Due to exceedingly high demand for registrations, BT have been unable to
> support the levels of calls generated to our call centre due to the lack
> of
> capacity of the local BT exchange. In order to allow BT time to upgrade
> capacity they have asked us to suspend registrations. However, as we are
> open for business as usual please use the e-mail address below for your
> registration. We will remove this message as soon as BT is able to resume
> normal service."
>
> Comments?

I asked the CallNet press minion today why, if "tens of thousands" of people
were now happily surfing for free having registered since 8am this morning -
which was the message he had given me - wasn't I one of them, being someone
who *pre-registered* last week?

Were the pre-registered customers being left out in the cold, I asked? He
was unable to answer, promised to get back to me on that one, and so far,
errr, hasn't.

I went a-hunting in CallNet's own java chat room, and fished around for
anyone in there who was dialling up using CallNet. The answers: "Nope." "Not
me." "All I got was engaged tones."

Of course they could have misunderstood me and been talking about the 0800
058 0800 registration number, which was overloaded with calls, so we can't
take that as a good critique of the service itself.

The thing is I have quite a positive feeling about CallNet - moreso than
with screaming.net or 08004u. Consequently I shall be all the more annoyed
and disappointed if they screw things up.

--Giles